Facts vs. Fiction Surrounding Medical Marijuana: Traditional Medicine’s Modern Perspectives
As the number of states allowing medical marijuana continues to grow, so do the physicians’ concerns about how to provide patients with appropriate information to support or refute the anecdotal use of cannabis for medical purposes. This course will provide learners an opportunity to gain insight into the health, political, legal and social issues related to the medical use of cannabis.
Physicians, Psychologists, Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners, Nurses, Respiratory Therapists, Pharmacists, Laboratory Personnel and other interested healthcare providers.
- Explain current legal regulations in Florida regarding the use of medical cannabis and the Compassionate Medical Cannabis Act of 2014.
- Analyze the potential impact of Amendment 2 and its federal implications.
- Describe the ethnobotanical and cultural use of cannabis.
- Identify the endocannabinoid system receptors’ mechanisms of action and their roles in modulating physiology.
- Assess indications for cannabis as a potential therapy for specific cases in practice as supported by 2016’s evidence for cannabis efficacy.
- Comply with State regulations for the clinical use of cannabis in order to integrate it effectively into patient treatment.
Jeffrey S. Block, M.D.
American Board-Certified Anesthesiologist
South Miami Hospital
Botanical Medicine Expert
Endocannabinoid Science Clinical Educator
Florida Department of Agriculture Master Gardener
Stephen H. Siegel, Esq.
Broad and Cassel
Florida Board Certified in Health Law
HCCA – Certified in Healthcare Compliance
Dr. Jeffrey Block and Mr. Stephen Siegel have indicated that they do not have any relevant financial relationships to disclose and Dr. Block’s discussion will include mention of investigational or off-label usage.
Non-faculty contributors and others involved in the planning, development, and editing/review of the content have no relevant financial relationships to disclose.
- 2.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
- 2.00 General certificate of attendance
- 2.00 Florida Board of Laboratory Personnel
- 2.00 Nurse Practitioners
- 2.00 Florida Board of Nursing
- 2.00 Florida Board of Pharmacy
- 2.00 Florida Board of Psychology
- 2.00 Florida Board of Respiratory Therapy