Conversations in Ethics: One of Our Toughest Cases - Challenges with “Futility”
In the face of a catastrophic diagnosis, familiarity with clinical ethics helps physicians and healthcare professionals collaborate with legal decision-makers. Join us as we share a challenging case in which parents had difficulty accepting a brain-dead diagnosis for their child.
Physicians, Psychologists, Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners, Nurses, Social Workers, Respiratory Therapists, Clinical Chaplains, Pharmacists, Medical Students, Registered Dietitians and other interested healthcare professionals
- Recognize and eliminate inappropriate communications in the face of a grave diagnosis.
- Describe the Florida Statutes medical criteria for brain-death diagnosis.
- Articulate how to empathically approach families who refuse to discuss a brain-dead diagnosis.
Pre-registration is required. Please log in to register.
|Live: Baptist Hospital - 5MCVI|
|Videoconference: West Kendall Baptist Hospital - Classrooms 4 & 5|
|Videoconference: Doctors Hospital - Coco Plum|
|Videoconference: Mariners Hospital - Executive Confernece Room|
Raúl de Velasco, M.D., FACP
Director, Clinical Ethics, University of Miami
Member, Baptist Health Bioethics Committee
Susan Howard, MSN, RNBC
Clinical Ethics Consultant
Baptist Hospital of Miami
Raúl de Velasco, M.D., has indicated that neither he nor his spouse/partner have relevant financial relationships to disclose and that his discussion will not include mention of investigational or off-label usage.
Susan Howard, MSN, has indicated that neither she nor her spouse/partner have relevant financial relationships to disclose and that her discussion will not include mention of investigational or off-label usage.
Non-faculty contributors and others involved in the planning, development, and editing/review of the content have no relevant financial relationships to disclose.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
- 1.00 Florida Board of Nursing
- 1.00 Nurse Practitioners
- 1.00 Florida Board of Occupational Therapy
- 1.00 Florida Board of Pharmacy
- 1.00 Florida Board of Psychology
- 1.00 Florida Board of Respiratory Therapy
- 1.00 Florida Board of Clinical Social Workers, Marriage and Family Therapists and Mental Health Counselors
- 1.00 General certificate of attendance
Technical Support: If you are experiencing technical difficulties or have received an error message, please send an email to CME@BaptistHealth.net and include a print screen of the error message, your browser name and version, username and URL where the error occurred. You can expect a response within 48 hours.