Evidence-based Clinical Care: Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) and Asthma
This course provides evidence-based data supporting the standardization of care throughout Baptist Health for patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and asthma. Included in this course are treatment algorithms, physician resources and the new quality metrics by which all medical staff will be evaluated.
Note to Physicians: Be sure to bookmark this course to access all protocols, pathways, policies and procedures at your convenience via your CME Portal account. All power plans are available in Cerner. All EBCC deliverables will be available on the EBCC website.
Emergency Department Physicians, Hospitalists, Internal Medicine Physicians and Family Medicine Physicians.
- Implement the new evidence-based clinical pathway for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and asthma created to standardize care throughout Baptist Health South Florida.
- Utilize the current Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease (GOLD) guidelines for the management and treatment of COPD.
- Define COPD and asthma clinical goals and discuss the mechanisms in place to measure adherence to clinical pathways.
- Recognize the value of multidisciplinary teams to facilitate transition from emergency department/observation to inpatient care/outpatient care.
- Educate patients and their families on community resources available to maximize accessibility for patient follow-up and to ensure compliance upon discharge.
Javier Perez-Fernandez, M.D.
Pulmonary Disease Specialist
Director of Pulmonary Services at West Kendall Baptist Hospital
Director of Critical Care Services at Baptist Hospital
Associate Clinical Professor at Florida International University
Seema Chandra, M.D.
Board-certified in Internal Medicine and Pediatrics
Associate Medical Director for Academics,
Baptist Health Medical Group Hospital Medicine Program
Javier Perez Fernandez, M.D., has indicated that he has a speaker role with Boehringer Ingelheim, Sunovion and Astra-Zeneca. He will not include off-label or unapproved product usage in his presentation or discussion.
Seema Chandra, M.D., indicated that neither she nor her spouse/partner has relevant financial relationships with commercial interest companies, and she will not include off-label or unapproved product usage in her presentation or discussion.
Non-faculty contributors and others involved in the planning, development and editing/review of the content have no relevant financial relationships to disclose.
Baptist Health South Florida is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians. Baptist Health has been re-surveyed by the ACCME and awarded Commendation for 6 years as a provider of CME for physicians.
Baptist Health South Florida designates this enduring material for a maximum of 0.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- 0.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
- 0.75 General certificate of attendance
This site is supported on the most recent stable releases of the following browsers:
This site is supported on the following mobile devices:
If you are experiencing technical difficulties or have received an error message, please send an email to CME@baptisthealth.net and include a print screen of the error message, your browser name and version, username and URL where the error occurred. You can expect a response within 48 hours.