BHSF Ethics Consultants’ Shared Learning through Simulation
This course is designed to assist ethics consultants in enhancing their interpersonal skills when providing ethics consultation services. The ethics consultants will complete “BHSF Ethics Consultant Proficiency Assessment Tool” and review various educational PowerPoints and articles for ongoing knowledge and professional development, prior to the Simulation course. We will present a scenario where an ethical consult is needed and the consultants will complete the consult. As a group discussion activity, the video of the consultant performance will be reviewed to address the Ethics meeting, interactions and resolution.
Ethics Consultants (Consultants (Physicians, Nurses, Psychologists, Pastoral Care, Physician Assistants and Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioners)
- Identify the nature of the values uncertainty or conflict that underlies the need for the ethics consultation.
- Ascertain the ethically appropriate decision maker (e.g., patient, surrogate, health care team or hospital administrator).
- Establish realistic expectations about the consultation process.
Rose Allen, DNP, MSM/H, R.N., CHPN BHSF, Director, Bioethics & Palliative Care Miami, FL
Rosy Gonzalez RN, MSN, CHSE, BHSF Patient Safety Simulation Lab Manager, Miami, FL
Due to the non-clinical nature of the content discussed, the speakers have no relevant financial relationships to disclose.
This CME activity will not cover content that would involve products or services of commercial interests. Therefore no opportunity exists for a conflict of interest based on the financial relationships of faculty and those persons in control of content. Since these relationships are not relevant, no disclosure information was collected.
Baptist Health South Florida is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians. Baptist Health has been re-surveyed by the ACCME and awarded Commendation for 6 years as a provider of CME for physicians.
Baptist Health South Florida designates this live activity for a maximum of 1.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
This activity has been approved for 1.5 credit hours by the Florida Boards of Medicine, Osteopathic Medicine, Florida Board of Psychology (1.5 credits) and the Florida Council of Physician Assistants. CE Broker #20-575242.
This activity has also been approved for 1.5 credits for Nurses, Nurse Practitioners, Respiratory Therapists and Occupational Therapists. Baptist Health South Florida CE Broker Provider #50-182.
- 1.50 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
- 1.50 Florida Board of Nursing
- 1.50 Nurse Practitioners
- 1.50 Florida Board of Occupational Therapy
- 1.50 Florida Board of Psychology
- 1.50 Florida Board of Respiratory Therapy
- 1.50 Florida Board of Clinical Social Workers, Marriage and Family Therapists and Mental Health Counselors
- 1.50 General certificate of attendance