Conversations in Ethics - Advance Directives & DNR: Is There a Difference?
Since the 1970s, public concerns over an individual’s right to determine his or her own healthcare led to state legislative efforts to encourage the use of advance directives. In 1990, the Patient Self- Determination Act (PSDA) was passed and since enforced by the Center of Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS). This act requires healthcare facilities to implement policies and procedures to inform patients about advance directives. Is an advance directive the same as the Florida Yellow DNRO? Join us in this session to learn more about these documents.
Physicians, Psychologists, Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners, Nurses, Social Workers, Respiratory Therapists, Clinical Chaplains, Pharmacists, Medical Students, Registered Dietitians and other interested healthcare professionals
- Explain the various types of advance directives.
- Describe the difference between an Advance Directive and Florida Yellow DNRO.
- Utilize approaches to effective conversations about what is most important to individuals at the end-of-life.
Pre-registration is required. Please log in to register.
|Live: Baptist Hospital - Auditorium|
|Videoconference: Homestead Hospital - Mango and Pineapple Rooms|
|Videoconference: West Kendall Baptist Hospital - Classrooms 4 & 5|
|Videoconference: Doctors Hospital - Coco Plum|
|Videoconference: Mariners Hospital - Executive Confernece Room|
Rose Allen, DNP, MSM/HM, R.N., CHPN
Director, Bioethics & Palliative Care
Baptist Health South Florida
Rose Allen has indicated that neither she nor her spouse/partner have any relevant financial relationships to disclose and that her discussion will not include mention of investigational or off-label usage.
Non-faculty contributors and others involved in the planning, development, and editing/review of the content have no relevant financial relationships to disclose.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
- 1.00 Florida Board of Nursing
- 1.00 Nurse Practitioners
- 1.00 Florida Board of Occupational Therapy
- 1.00 Florida Board of Pharmacy
- 1.00 Florida Board of Psychology
- 1.00 Florida Board of Respiratory Therapy
- 1.00 Florida Board of Clinical Social Workers, Marriage and Family Therapists and Mental Health Counselors
- 1.00 General certificate of attendance
Technical Support: If you are experiencing technical difficulties or have received an error message, please send an email to CME@BaptistHealth.net and include a print screen of the error message, your browser name and version, username and URL where the error occurred. You can expect a response within 48 hours.