CANCELED - Homestead Hospital Conference Series: Antibiotic Stewardship Program – Key Components of Joint Commission Standards and New System Policy
It is estimated that more than two million people are infected with antibiotic-resistant organisms, resulting in approximately 23,000 deaths annually. While antibiotics have transformed the practice of medicine, making once lethal infections readily treatable, 20-50% of all antibiotics prescribed in U.S. acute care hospitals are either unnecessary or inappropriate. Improving the use of antibiotics is an important patient safety and public health issue. During this lecture Dr. Mejia will provide strategies for improving antibiotic use and evidence-based best practices in antibiotic stewardship in compliance with the Joint Commission standards and the Baptist Health South Florida’s Antimicrobial Stewardship Policy.
Hospitalists, Emergency Medicine Physicians, Hematologists, House Physicians, Physicians Assistants, Nurse Practitioners, Pharmacists, Nurses, Respiratory Therapists, Radiology Technicians and all other interested healthcare providers.
- Prescribe adequate and timely empiric antibiotic therapy.
- Rapidly adjust, change and/or discontinue antibiotic therapy based on clinical and microbiologic evidence and national standards.
- Recognize the need for antibiotic de-escalation and antibiotics restrictions.
- Collaborate with members of the antibiotic stewardship programs (ASP) at Homestead Hospital to promote appropriate use of antibiotics.
Jorge Mejia, M.D.
Infectious Disease Consultant
Baptist Health South Florida
Jorge Mejia, M.D., indicated that neither he nor his spouse/partner have relevant financial relationships with commercial interest companies, and he will not include off-label or unapproved product usage in his presentation or discussion.
Non-faculty contributors and others involved in the planning, development, and editing/review of the content have no relevant financial relationships to disclose.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
- 1.00 General certificate of attendance
- 1.00 Florida Board of Laboratory Personnel
- 1.00 Nurse Practitioners
- 1.00 Florida Board of Nursing
- 1.00 Florida Board of Pharmacy
- 1.00 Florida Bureau of Radiation Control
- 1.00 Florida Board of Respiratory Therapy
Technical Support: If you are experiencing technical difficulties or have received an error message, please send an email to CME@BaptistHealth.net and include a print screen of the error message, your browser name and version, username and URL where the error occurred. You can expect a response within 48 hours.