Mariners Hospital Conference Series: Management and Treatment of Burns in the E.R.
In the United States, approximately 1.25 million people with burns present to the emergency department each year. Among these, 63,000 have minor burn injuries that are treated primarily in the emergency department and an additional 6,000 sustain major burn injuries that require hospital admission. Outcomes for burn patients have improved dramatically over the past 20 years, yet burns still cause substantial morbidity and mortality. Proper evaluation and management, coupled with appropriate early referral to a specialist, greatly help in minimizing suffering and optimizing results. This activity will address the importance of assessment and evaluation of the wound, and proper referral for optimal plan for wound care.
Hospitalists, Internists, Critical Care Physicians, Emergency Medicine Physicians, Podiatrists, Nurse Practitioners, Physician Assistants, Nurses, Respiratory Therapists, Pharmacists and other interested healthcare providers.
- Assess and evaluate burns systematically eliminating examination pitfalls.
- Initiate treatment according to depth of injury and anatomical region.
- Identify burns caused by abuse in children and the elderly.
- Determine appropriate referral plan for wound care.
Ricardo Castrellon, M.D.
South Miami Hospital
Ricardo Castrellon, M.D. has indicated that he has no relevant financial relationships to disclose and that his discussion will not include mention of investigational or off-label usage.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Speaker Credit™
- 1.00 General certificate of attendance
- 1.00 Nurse Practitioners
- 1.00 Florida Board of Nursing
- 1.00 Florida Board of Pharmacy
- 1.00 Florida Board of Podiatric Medicine
- 1.00 Florida Board of Respiratory Therapy
Technical Support: If you are experiencing technical difficulties or have received an error message, please send an email to CME@BaptistHealth.net and include a print screen of the error message, your browser name and version, username and URL where the error occurred. You can expect a response within 48 hours.