Conversations in Ethics: Understanding Florida Healthcare Proxy
What would happen if you were not able to communicate after an accident? Who can make a decision for you if you cannot speak? If the person you loved most suffered a devastating brain injury, would you know what his/her wishes are for end-of-life care? Millions of families and healthcare personnel grapple with these questions on a daily basis when patients are incapacitated. We have a moral responsibility to honor patient rights when those wishes are known, and, when unknown, to provide care that would be in the patient’s best interest. This presentation will provide an overview of advance directives law (F.S. 765.00) and hospital policy and processes related to the incapacitated patient, with or without an advance directive.
Live webinar only. Please register for Zoom link.
Physicians, Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners, Nurses, Pharmacists, Respiratory Therapists, Social Workers, Clinical Chaplains, Medical Students and other interested healthcare professionals.
- Differentiate between an advance directive and the Florida healthcare proxy.
- Articulate the steps for legally appointing a healthcare proxy.
- Describe the responsibilities of a healthcare proxy in making healthcare decisions for the incapacitated patient.
Idalis Otero, MSN, BSN, RN
Bioethics / Patient Rights Coordinator
South Miami and Doctors Hospitals
Due to the nonclinical nature of the content discussed, the speaker has no relevant financial relationships to disclose.
This CME activity will not cover content that would involve products or services of commercial interests. Therefore, no opportunity exists for a conflict of interest based on the financial relationships of faculty and those persons in control of content. Since these relationships are not relevant, no disclosure information was collected.
Baptist Health South Florida is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians. Baptist Health has been re-surveyed by the ACCME and awarded Commendation for 6 years as a provider of CME for physicians.
Baptist Health South Florida designates this live activity for a maximum of 1 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
This activity has been approved for 1 credit hour, CE Broker Course #20-126977, by the Florida Boards of Medicine, Osteopathic Medicine and by the Florida Council of Physician Assistants.
This activity has also been approved for 1 credit for Nurse Practitioners, Nurses, Pharmacists, Respiratory Therapists, Clinical Chaplain and Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling. Baptist Health South Florida CE Broker Provider #50-182.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
- 1.00 General certificate of attendance
- 1.00 Florida Board of Clinical Social Workers, Marriage and Family Therapists and Mental Health Counselors
- 1.00 Nurse Practitioners
- 1.00 Florida Board of Nursing
- 1.00 Florida Board of Occupational Therapy
- 1.00 Florida Board of Pharmacy
- 1.00 Florida Board of Respiratory Therapy
Preregistration is required to receive the login information.
- Please register for the CME webinar to receive confirmation of your registration.
- After your registration is confirmed you will receive an email directly from Zoom, our webinar host. Please add email@example.com to your address book to ensure delivery.
Continuing Education Credits
In order to confirm your participation in a live webinar and claim credit, please:
- Provide your full name and email address when you register for the webinar.
- Complete the post-conference evaluation and attestation form, which will be emailed to you after the activity.
While the presentations may be viewable on systems that don't meet these criteria, it is recommended that your computer meet the minimum system requirements. Visit the Zoom Rooms page for system requirements and recommendations. Please plan to connect to the webinar transmission 15 minutes prior to the start time to test your connectivity.
You can test your connection to Zoom prior to the scheduled time by visiting Zoom Help Center. If you have technical difficulties accessing a webinar, please first consult our Zoom Rooms and troubleshooting tips. If your system meets these parameters, for technical assistance, call 888-799-9666.