Climate, Heat and Health
An estimated 34 heat-related deaths occurred annually in Miami-Dade County from 2015 to 2019 and 6,804 emergency room visits in the state of Florida were attributed to heat-related illness in 2019. The risk of heat related illness persists due to a warming climate. Scientific evidence indicates that patient health is already impacted by increased days of extreme heat. Join presenters from the Miami-Dade Heat Task Force and Florida Clinicians for Climate Action as they address how to identify signs and symptoms of heat stress and heat illness and explore cost-effective strategies to treat and prevent heat illness in our patients.
Physicians and other interested healthcare professionals.
- Discuss climate factors that are contributing to increased days of extreme heat in Miami-Dade County.
- Explain patient characteristics associated with increased risk for heat stress and heat illness.
- Summarize the potential physiologic effects of extreme heat exposure.
- Integrate education about the impact of climate on health into routine patient encounters.
- Recommend local resources to patients to reduce their risk of heat illness.
6:00 p.m. Welcome & Introductions
6:05 p.m. Climate Change Basics
Dr. Cheryl Holder
6:15 p.m. Heat Illness Signs, Symptoms, and Treatment
Dr. Jevon Harrison
6:25 p.m. Miami Dade County Specific Heat Data
6:35 p.m. Solutions/Patient Education Materials
Dr. Todd Sack
6:45 p.m. Questions and Answer
7:00 p.m. Adjourn
Chief Heat Officer, Miami-Dade County
Jevon Harrison, M.B.B.S
Florida State Medical Association Representative
Cheryl L. Holder, M.D.
Associate Dean for Diversity, Equity, Inclusivity and Community Initiatives
Associate Professor Humanities, Health and Society
Florida International University Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine
Co-chair, Florida Physicians for Climate Action
Todd LarRieu Sack, M.D., FACP
Executive Director, My Green Doctor Foundation
Jacksonville Beach, Florida
Jane Gilbert, Jevon Harrison, M.B.B.S., Cheryl Holder, M.D. and Todd Sack, M.D., faculty for this educational activity, have no relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies* to disclose, and have indicated that the presentations or discussions will not include off-label or unapproved product usage.
Patrise Tyson, MSN, FNP-BC, moderator for this educational activity, has no relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies* to disclose, and has indicated that the presentations or discussions will not include off-label or unapproved product usage.
Non-faculty contributors and others involved in the planning, development, and editing/review of the content have relevant financial relationships to disclose.
*Ineligible Companies – Companies whose primary business is producing, marketing, selling, re-selling or distributing healthcare products used by or on patients.
Baptist Health South Florida is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians. Baptist Health has been re-surveyed by the ACCME and awarded Commendation for 6 years as a provider of CME for physicians.
Baptist Health South Florida designates this live activity for a maximum of 1 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
This activity has been approved for 1 credit hours, CE Broker Course #20-935846, by the Florida Boards of Medicine, Osteopathic Medicine and by the Florida Council of Physician Assistants.
This activity has also been approved for 1 credit hours for Nurse Practitioners, Nurses, Occupational Therapists and Dietitians. Baptist Health South Florida CE Broker Provider #50-182.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
- 1.00 General certificate of attendance
- 1.00 Florida Board of Dietitians
- 1.00 Nurse Practitioners
- 1.00 Florida Board of Nursing
- 1.00 Florida Board of Occupational Therapy
Preregistration is required to receive the login information.
- Please register for the CME webinar to receive confirmation of your registration.
- After your registration is confirmed you will receive an email directly from Zoom, our webinar host. Please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your address book to ensure delivery.
Continuing Education Credits
In order to confirm your participation in a live webinar and claim credit, please:
- Provide your full name and email address when you register for the webinar.
- Complete the post-conference evaluation and attestation form, which will be emailed to you after the activity.
While the presentations may be viewable on systems that don't meet these criteria, it is recommended that your computer meet the minimum system requirements. Visit the Zoom Rooms page for system requirements and recommendations. Please plan to connect to the webinar transmission 15 minutes prior to the start time to test your connectivity.
You can test your connection to Zoom prior to the scheduled time by visiting Zoom Help Center. If you have technical difficulties accessing a webinar, please first consult our Zoom Rooms and troubleshooting tips. If your system meets these parameters, for technical assistance, call 888-799-9666.