Conversations in Ethics – Pain Management for the Comfort Measures Only Patient
Comfort Measures Only (CMO) describes a set of palliative care interventions that provide immediate relief of symptoms in a patient who is very close to death. Familiarity with CMO is an essential skill for all clinicians who are caring for patients whose death is imminent; however, dealing with the patient receiving CMO can be challenging.
Please join us to learn from Dr. Nivia I. Ruiz how to address some of the challenges of providing CMO care to ensure that your patient has well-controlled symptoms at the end of life.
Live webinar only. Please register for Zoom link.
Physicians, Psychologists, Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners, Nurses, Social Workers, Respiratory Therapists, Clinical Chaplains, Pharmacists, Medical Students, Registered Dietitians and other interested healthcare professionals.
- Outline the legal and ethical principles guiding appropriate Comfort Measures Only (CMO) end-of-life care.
- Recognize and acknowledge pain medication side effects and determine the most effective route of medication administration for end-of-life pain management.
- Utilize palliative care interventions that provide immediate relief of symptoms in patients who are very close to death.
Nivia I. Ruiz, M.D.
Palliative Medicine Physician
Baptist Health South Florida
Nivia I. Ruiz, M.D., indicated that neither she nor her spouse/partner has relevant financial relationships with commercial interest companies, and she will not include off-label or unapproved product usage in her presentation or discussion.
Non-faculty contributors and others involved in the planning, development, and editing/review of the content have no relevant financial relationships to disclose.
Baptist Health South Florida is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians. Baptist Health has been re-surveyed by the ACCME and awarded Commendation for 6 years as a provider of CME for physicians.
Baptist Health South Florida designates this live activity for a maximum of 1 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
This activity has been approved for 1 credit hour, CE Broker Course #20-126977, by the Florida Boards of Medicine, Osteopathic Medicine and Psychology (1 hour), and by the Florida Council of Physician Assistants.
This activity has also been approved for 1 credit for Nurse Practitioners, Nurses, Clinical Chaplain, and Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling. Baptist Health South Florida CE Broker Provider #50-182.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
- 1.00 General certificate of attendance
- 1.00 Florida Board of Clinical Social Workers, Marriage and Family Therapists and Mental Health Counselors
- 1.00 Nurse Practitioners
- 1.00 Florida Board of Nursing
- 1.00 Florida Board of Occupational Therapy
- 1.00 Florida Board of Pharmacy
- 1.00 Florida Board of Psychology
- 1.00 Florida Bureau of Radiation Control
- 1.00 Florida Board of Respiratory Therapy
Technical Support: If you are experiencing technical difficulties or have received an error message, please send an email to CME@BaptistHealth.net and include a print screen of the error message, your browser name and version, username and URL where the error occurred. You can expect a response within 48 hours.